Practice independence! – Follow all directions below. Good luck!
Deadline – TWA #2 must be printed, highlighted, and then placed in the sub’s hands within forty minutes of the tardy bell starting class. Students will submit the highlighted paper within the allotted time and then complete the “Sentence Structure” assignment linked at the bottom of this page. After both assignments are submitted, students should then be away from computers at the tables. Staple today’s final copy of TWA #2 on top of draft three on top of draft two on top of draft one.
Technical Writing Assignment #2 – Step-by-Step Directions
Formatting the Paper Before Writing
- Double space the entire document before typing. Use the default font and margins.
- Save NOW and OFTEN to the computer in Documents and a flash drive if available. It only takes one “oops” to lose everything.
- MLA heading – Use # in place of first and last name.
- Type TWA #2 – Due at the following times:
- 1st Hour – 9:05
- 2nd Hour – 10:07
- 3rd Hour – 11:09
- 4th Hour – 12:48
- Save often.
- Edit and revise if time allows. Double-check for errors! READ the paper sentence by sentence to avoid awkward sounding writing.
- 130 words maximum – excluding topic sentence and MLA – highlight the paragraph to see the word count in Word on the bottom left
- Topic Sentence – attention grabbing and states the main idea
- word choice – Were dead wall words avoided? “CTRL + F” can be used to search for them – be sure to search for all forms of the word. Action verbs should outnumber auxiliary verbs when used with a subject. Include the six words used correctly from the word bank?
- run-ons and fragments – Remove them! Any compound sentences?
- concrete details – Is each one a fact found in the story explaining how the main idea came to be?
- Transitions and transitional expressions – Not required but can strengthen the flow from one concrete detail to the next.
- POV should always remains 3rd person.
- MLA heading with a creative newspaper style headline
- Closing Sentence – Does the last sentence provide closure? It’s not just another specific one of the five Ws or how.
Printing and Submitting
- To Print – Once “File” and “Print” or the printer icon shortcut has been clicked, change the option for “Printing on Both Sides” to the one that will allow for “Printing One Side Only
- Print TWA #2 and then highlight accordingly.
- Six words from the word bank – pink
- Compound sentence in yellow – avoid highlighting over pink.
- Underline details in blue highlighter which support who, what, when, where, why, and how.
- Submit before 40 minutes of class pass.
Follow these directions – link will activate after 30 minute window closes.